American Recovery and Reinvestment Act: Requirements for DUNS Numbers and System for Award Management (SAM) Entity Registration (formerly CCR Registration)

To be eligible for ARRA funds, including Race to the Top, LEAs must have a Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) number and register with the new System for Award Management (SAM). LEAs that anticipate the receipt of ARRA funds must comply with this requirement. LEAs will not be able to request ARRA funds online until they have a valid DUNS number and have registered with SAM.

As of July 30, 2012, Central Contractor Registration (CCR) has been replaced by System for Award Management (SAM), which is a Web-enabled government wide application that collects, validates, stores and disseminates business information about the federal government's trading partners in support of the contract award, grants and the electronic payment processes.  (Source: )

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a DUNS number and why must our agency have one in order to receive ARRA funds?
A DUNS number is a unique nine-character number issued by Dun & Bradstreet that identifies your agency. The federal government has opted to use DUNS numbers to track how federal grant funds are allocated and expended by New York State, the State Education Department, and local agencies. Most large organizations, such as school districts, libraries, colleges and universities, already have DUNS numbers.
How can I find out if my agency already has a DUNS number?
Consult with your agency's business office or chief financial officer, or you may search for your agency on Dun & Bradstreet's website, .
How do I request a DUNS Number?
The chief executive/financial officer or a designee should register for a DUNS number via the web at .
What information will I need to obtain a DUNS Number?
You will need the following:
  • Organization name
  • Organization address
  • Local telephone number
  • Name of your agency’s CEO
  • Legal structure of the organization
  • Year the organization was created
  • Primary line of business
  • Total number of employees
How long will it take to receive a DUNS number?
An agency will usually receive a DUNS number within 48 hours of the request.
How much does it cost to receive a DUNS number?
It is free of charge for all agencies required to register with the federal government.
What is SAM?
SAM is a Web-based government-wide registry for organizations doing business with the federal government.
Why does my agency have to register in order to receive ARRA funds?
Registering with the SAM is required for primary grantees and subgrantees receiving ARRA funds. It is a federal system to collect, validate, store and disseminate business information about the federal government’s trading partners, in support of the contract award, grants and electronic payment processes.
What information will I need in order to register with SAM?
Before registering with SAM, you should make sure that your agency has a DUNS number, and your agency will also need an Employment Identification Number (EIN). In addition, you will be required to provide information about your organization.
How do I register with SAM?
To register with SAM, go to and follow the registration instructions.
How long should I allow for SAM registration?
You should allow three to five business days to complete the CCR registration.


Sources: U.S. Department of Education,, Dun & Bradstreet

Effective: 7/30/2012