Supervisor of Education Programs, SG-28 (PEF)
Open to NYS Employees Only
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Adult Career and Continuing Educational Services, Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision (BPSS) is seeking approval to fill a Supervisor of Education Programs position. BPSS oversees and monitors non-degree granting proprietary schools in New York State. The Bureau is responsible for ensuring that the overall educational quality of the programs offered will provide students with the necessary skills to secure meaningful employment and for protecting students’ financial interests while attending proprietary schools. BPSS licenses and registers proprietary schools and credentials proprietary school teachers to ensure that appropriate standards are met. The Bureau investigates student complaints and conducts comprehensive investigations of schools to assure compliance with Education Law and Commissioner’s Regulations. Proprietary schools under BPSS jurisdiction include trade and business schools, computer training facilities, and for-profit English as a Second Language (ESL) schools.
Under the direction of the Director of Proprietary School Supervision, the Supervisor of Education Programs will oversee and supervise an Education Team as they fulfill their responsibilities overseeing schools under the BPSS jurisdiction. Duties of this position will include but not be limited to:
- Providing oversight to schools to ensure compliance with Education Law and Commissioner's Regulations;
- Supervising and evaluating team members who conduct regular site visits to the approximately 500 licensed private career schools;
- Coordinating the provision of technical assistance to schools by members of the Education Team;
- Tracking and monitoring the progress of work assignments and backlog of the Education Team;
- Working with educators to prioritize and facilitate more efficient use of time;
- Acting as liaison between the schools and assigned educators;
- Assigning pending schools to Education Team members;
- Working with Investigations & Audit Unit staff to maximize effectiveness of field inspections through joint visits;
- Providing technical assistance and guidance to Educators with reports and letters to the field.
- Organizing and conducting regular meetings with the Education Team.
- Attending meetings of other BPSS teams to promote coordination of work.
- Keeping the Director abreast of activities and issues needing input.
- Traveling to NYC regularly to work one-on-one with educators on assignments and issues.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: To be eligible for permanent appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service as a Supervisor of Education Programs OR to be eligible for permanent appointment via Section 70.1 of the Civil Service law, have one year of permanent competitive service as an Associate in Education Improvement Services, Associate in Bilingual Education, Associate in Instructional Services or Associate in Early Childhood Education
*Leads to a maximum salary of $105,829 based on annual performance advances.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval. This will be a permanent or provisional appointment.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
E-mail: Emailed resumes must include box number ACS-1316 in the subject line
and be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer