Human Resources Specialist 1, G-18 (M/C)
Human Resources Specialist Trainee, NS (M/C)
The State Education Department’s (SED) Office of Human Resources Management (OHRM) is filling a Human Resources Specialist 1 position. The OHRM provides personnel services, staff development, labor relations and employee benefits to staff in various diverse program areas within the Education Department, including the Office of Education Policy, the Office of Adult Career and Continuing Education Services, the Office of the Professions, the Office of Cultural Education, the Office of Performance Improvement and Management Services, and the Office of the Chief Financial Officer. The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with and develop relationships with program managers and staff for the effective accomplishment of program and OHRM work priorities;
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to program managers on a variety of human resources, labor relations and civil service issues; review, analyze and respond to program requests;
- Ensure compliance with SED and OHRM policies and procedures; negotiated agreements; Civil Service Law, Rules and regulations; and other HR laws that govern a variety of employment/employee actions;
- Conduct training activities;
- Work closely with program managers to ensure the development of a qualified, competent and diversified workforce;
- Assist with employee grievances and disciplines; interpret and apply negotiated agreements in the resolution of workplace problems;
- Perform various activities related to staffing, classification, compensation, examination development, employee transactions, employee services and benefits, and time and attendance;
- Assist programs with organizational planning, staff-development, career ladder and succession planning initiatives; assist in the development and implementation of new program initiatives; and
- Complete specials projects as assigned.
Reassignment: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Human Resources Specialist 1.
§70.1 or §52.6 Transfer: One year of permanent competitive or 55 b/c service in a title SG-13 or above deemed eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 or 52.6 of the Civil Service Law.
§70.4 Transfer: Candidates may be eligible for transfer to Human Resources Specialist Trainee 1 if they possess a bachelor’s degree AND have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service in a title SG-11 or higher AND have standing on the PCO or PATT eligible list.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates who are reachable on the New York State Education Department’s Public Administration Trainee Transition (PATT) eligible list or the Professional Career Opportunities (PCO) eligible list may be considered for appointment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $64,409 based on annual performance advances.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent appointment. Transfer candidates to Human Resources Specialist Trainee 1 and appointees from the PATT or PCO lists will serve a two-year traineeship leading to the Grade 18 salary level. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval.
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Please include the Box number (CFO-277/00726) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer