Project Assistant, SG-23
LOCATION: Albany (possibly Brooklyn**)
The New York State Education Department (SED) oversees the most complete, interconnected system of education in the country – including all public and nonpublic PreK-12 schools, public and independent colleges and universities – and administers an annual PreK-12 budget of more than $25 billion. Catalyzed by the award of nearly $700M in federal Race to the Top (RttT) funds, NYSED and the Board of Regents are pursuing a reform agenda to transform K-12 education for our 3.1 million school students.
In conjunction with the RttT initiative, the Office of P-12 Education, Office School Innovation, is seeking candidates to fill a position of Project Assistant, Finance Specialist. Under the general direction of a Project Coordinator, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for the coordination and administrative oversight of all education finance activities in the State School Turnaround Office including the review, administration and management of over $300 million in grants to school districts and local education agencies statewide. Duties of this position will include, but not be limited to:
- Assisting in identifying successful programs; determining academic benchmarks; targeting successful external providers and facilitating partnerships; and collecting information and contributing to a clearinghouse of resources, people and networks to enhance planning, implementation and accountability of turnaround programs statewide;
- Assisting with providing oversight and accountability of multiple local-education agency/vendor grant contracts for building school district and leadership capacity for dramatic school improvement;
- Reviewing, evaluating, and processing school or program improvement plans towards the implementation and monitoring of approved plans to achieve school turnaround goals;
- Reviewing programs that assist schools in improving the delivery of educational services;
- Supporting and reviewing grant programs and contracts related to school improvement plans;
- Reviewing, evaluating and processing district or consolidated grant applications or proposals and budget proposals for the distribution of monies;
- Providing technical assistance to turnaround schools, local education agencies or other agencies or professional groups;
- Participating in on-site/in-office monitoring to review programs for the effectiveness of grants in low-achieving schools; and
- Preparing written reports, policy documents, educational resources, etc.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree, supplemented by 24 credit hours in accounting, auditing or financial administration (or combination) and three years of experience in managing contracts and related budgets in an educational agency or facility regulated under federal or New York State education laws, rules and regulations
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a temporary appointment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $83,954 based on annual performance evaluations.
**Plus $3,026 annual Downstate location adjustment.
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. We encourage applicants to apply as soon as possible. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to the email address listed below. Please include the Box number (EMS-956) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Ms. Annette Franchini, Director
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer