Associate in Education Research, SG-26 (PEF)
The Office of P-12 Education is seeking candidates to fill the position of Associate in Education Research, SG-26, in its Office of Accountability. The Office of Accountability oversees the compliance for schools and Local Education Agencies (LEAs) in New York State. This Office works to close the achievement gap by identifying and supporting schools and LEAs that are low-performing, as well as those interested in replicating the best practices of the State’s high performing and rapidly improving schools and districts. The incumbent of this position will develop and perform advanced data-analytic work to examine educational practices in order to significantly build the State Education Department’s (SED) use and analysis of data to support management decisions, long-term planning, and policymaking. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval. Duties of this position will include but not be limited to the following:
- Analyzing the effectiveness of educational programs, supports and interventions by developing and examining data sets that include student achievement data, postsecondary variables and other related information;
- Managing accountability databases and developing business rules for data collection and reporting processes for use by internal and external customers who work with accountability data;
- Using quantitative and statistical tools to calculate annual assessments of schools and districts that include performance index, gap analysis, growth and growth to proficiency and preparing notifications to schools and districts regarding Priority, Focus, Reward Schools status and Focus District designation;
- Making Adequate Yearly Progress determinations for schools and districts participating in the self-assessment process; conducting research and preparing reports on such processes as the self-assessment system, the supplementary performance indicator program, and the Schools Under Registration Review program;
- Developing recommendations regarding strategies for holding schools and districts accountable for performance, including the use of growth and value added approaches;
- Analyzing the efficacy of state accountability policies and interventions;
- Communicating accountability metrics to educators and stakeholders and supporting educators in understanding accountability metrics through direct field support;
- Assisting in operationalizing new accountability metrics for public reporting; and
- Researching best practices to support the development, architecture, and maintenance of data systems for accountability and program data.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: For permanent appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or non-competitive 55b/c service as an Associate in Education Research OR be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND five years of experience in research. Three years of this experience must have been involved primarily with research on educational issues or topics (bibliographic research in not acceptable).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent contingent appointment.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $95,718 based on annual performance advances.
** Plus $3,026 downstate location payAPPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to the email address listed below (email submissions are preferred). Please include the Box number (EMS-959) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer