VISITOR SERVICES ASSISTANT 1, SG-8 (CSEA)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Cultural Education is seeking candidates for two Visitor Services Assistant 1 positions in the New York State Museum. Under the direction of the Supervisor of Visitor Services, the incumbents of these positions will perform a variety of activities such as welcoming and educating visitors and groups and interpreting exhibits within the Museum. Duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Staff and develop educational programs for the Museum’s Discovery Place and the Museum Club after-school program;
- Prepare and present interpretive talks, programs, and activities for diverse audiences;
- Conduct tours of exhibits and facilitate upcoming events, programs, and exhibitions;
- Assist in the evacuation of the Museum in case of emergency;
- Inform Museum Security/State Police of any threats to public safety/health and/or Museum property;
- Report any safety hazards in the Museum’s public spaces;
- Register and confirm all school and group visits;
- Greet and orient all groups to the Museum;
- Operate the Museum’s antique carousel and provide historical information about the carousel;
- Assist with professional development and training programs;
- Provide on-the-job training for new staff and volunteers;
- Represent audience needs and Visitor Services staff concerns on Museum-wide committees;
- Support the Administrator on Duty with the collection and documentation of donations on Saturdays and Sundays;
- Prepare and present informal and engaging learning opportunities within the galleries through the Museum’s Exploration Stations; and
- Support school-based educational programs through informal, gallery-based educational experiences.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have two years of experience* in the visitor/customer service environment in a cultural institution.
*Substitution: College study may be substituted for up to two years of the general experience on the basis of 30 semester credit hours being equal to one year.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Special consideration will be given to candidates who possess early childhood and/or elementary school program experience OR two years of experience developing and/or implementing educationally-based programming in a cultural institution.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: These will be permanent or contingent permanent, non-competitive appointments. Hours of these positions will be either 8:30AM-4:30PM or 9:00AM-5:00 PM, Tuesday-Saturday, including holidays, and occasional overtime. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview, as applicable.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $39,626 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by March 31, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (OCE-1002 or OCE-1013) in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer