Museum Scientist 1, SG-18 (PEF)
The New York State Museum anticipates filling a position of Museum Scientist 1. The Museum Scientist 1 will report to the Museum Scientist 3 and will provide Geographic Information System (GIS) support to all areas of the Museum, focusing on the Museum’s geologic mapping program. Other duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create geologic and other maps using GIS and other electronic mapping programs;
- Produce digital and print maps for the Museum’s Map & Chart series publications and other Museum and outside publications. Produce and publish Map & Chart series maps from StateMap and other geologic field maps;
- Provide GIS and cartography in support of exhibits, Research and Collections staff projects, and educational programs.
- Prepare geographic databases for the StateMap program, for Museum staff use, and to be made available on the web;
- Perform geologic field mapping of surficial deposits and/or bedrock in selected areas of New York; and
- Serve as New York Map Catalog contact for the National Geographic Map Database program.
Minimum Qualifications: Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree in geology, geosciences, geography or earth sciences and two years of professional GIS experience, OR a master’s degree in geology or related field and one year of professional GIS experience.
Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for the position will be required to participate in an internal peer-review process.
Preferred Qualifications: Preferred candidate will have extensive experience in GIS with a concentration in geologic applications, geologic field mapping experience, and a background in GPS systems and LIDAR. The preferred candidate will also demonstrate an ability to provide GIS services to other Museum scientific disciplines (archaeology, biology, ethnography, and paleontology).
*Leads to a maximum salary of $65,190 based on annual performance advances.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent non-competitive appointment.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by November 23, 2012 to the email address listed below. Please include the Box number (OCE-813) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer