SUPERVISOR IN BILINGUAL EDUCATION, SG-28 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates to fill the position of Supervisor in Bilingual Education in the Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages. This Office provides support and technical assistance to Districts, Charter Schools, Non-Public Schools and other organizations in the development, implementation and evaluation of programs for English Language Learners (ELLs), as well as to foreign language students within the State’s P-16 initiative. The incumbent of this position will supervise activities to ensure the successful advancement of bilingual education initiatives. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise staff in the development of Part 154 Regulations and implementation and guidance documents and oversee development and issuance of Requests for Proposals (RFPs);
- Supervise the evaluation and reporting on the performance of State and local programs;
- Act as the Department’s liaison with local schools, administrators, teachers, parents and other educational organizations;
- Prepare major policy papers and studies related to Department initiatives;
- Provide information on evaluation to educational leaders from other states for benchmarking and continued improvement;
- Provide project assistance to the project manager and senior Department staff in relation to ESL and math; and
- Prepare written program and fiscal reports as required by the Director of Bilingual Education and Foreign Language Studies.
Reassignment: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Supervisor in Bilingual Education.
Section 70.1 Transfer: To be eligible for transfer under Section 70.1, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as an Associate in Bilingual Education.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than 3 acceptors, a provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree and New York State permanent or professional certification in Bilingual Education, Teacher of English as a Second Language, English to Speakers of Other Languages, or in a classroom teaching with an extension in Bilingual Education; AND six years of experience teaching in an education program for English Language Learners (ELL) and /or students with limited English proficiency (LEP) in grades K-12. Two of the six years of experience must be in an administrative or supervisory capacity in the field of Bilingual Education or English as a Second Language. A Ph.D. in education may be substituted for up to two years of the teaching experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent or provisional appointment. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of the Budget approval. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required.
*Leads to maximum salary of $110,105 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1226/65403) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer