SENIOR ARCHITECT, SG-24 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of P-12 Education is seeking candidates for two Senior Architect positions in the Office of Facilities Planning. This Office is primarily responsible for code enforcement, life safety, fire safety and health in all public K-12 schools and BOCES in the State, exclusive of New York City. Under the direction of an Associate Architect, the incumbents will be responsible for review and approval of architectural construction documents for capital construction undertaken by public school districts and BOCES that require the approval of the Commissioner of Education. The duties of these positions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review preliminary plans and specifications submitted by school districts for approval prior to proceeding with final documents in an attempt to avoid costly errors;
- Review bid documents for compliance with the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code as well as compliance with the Commissioner’s health and safety regulations and the Department’s Manual of Planning Standards prior to the issuance of a building permit;
- Review and approve contract change orders submitted for previously approved projects;
- Provide technical assistance to school districts, architects and engineers working on public school projects. Interpret building codes and Manual of Planning Standards where necessary;
- Conduct presentations to constituent groups to promote the Department's programs and policies;
- Respond to correspondence from a wide range of individuals, including parents, school administrators and legislators;
- Perform special assignments as required, such as drafting regulations;
- Make field visits and inspections as required to investigate code compliance, complaints or emergency conditions and provide on-site technical advice; and
- Attend conferences and workshops designed to increase knowledge in school architectural issues and to stay abreast of developing industry trends and code revisions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: For permanent appointment, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service or 55b/c service as a Senior Architect OR a current NYS employee eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 of the Civil Service Law.
To be eligible for transfer under Section 70.1, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a Facilities Planner 2 AND possess a New York State Architect’s license and current registration AND have two years of architectural experience in building design, production of contract documents and construction administration for institutional, commercial, industrial and/or multi-unit residential building projects.
If the eligible list has fewer than 3 acceptors, a provisional appointment may be considered.
For provisional appointment, candidates must have two years of architectural experience in building design; production of contract documents; and construction administration for institutional, commercial, industrial, and/or multi-unit residential building** projects AND possess a New York State Architect's License and current registration. Candidates must provide license and registration information.
**Non-Qualifying Experience: Projects involving one or two family dwellings or residences is not qualifying experience for this examination.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: These will be permanent, contingent permanent or provisional appointments.*Leads to a maximum salary of $90,020 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). Please include the Box number (P12-1426/04402) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer