ASSISTANT IN BILINGUAL EDUCATION, SG-22 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for an Assistant in Bilingual Education position in Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages. This Office provides support and technical assistance to Districts, Charter Schools, Non-Public Schools and other organizations in the development, implementation and evaluation of programs for English language learners, as well as to world language students within the State’s P-16 initiative. The incumbent of this position will provide information, direction and guidance to local schools, administrators, teachers, and parents on State and federal laws, regulations, and policies regarding instructional programs and activities for English Language Learners (ELLs), limited English proficient (LEP) students, linguistic minority students, and ELL students with disabilities. Other duties of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide assistance in management initiatives related to ELLs and ensure that vendors meet timelines and produce high-quality deliverables for all teachers of ELLs;
- Provide technical assistance on laws, regulations, policies, and practices related to ELLs to school personnel, professional associations, parents and others;
- Assist with arranging professional development to build capacity for all teachers working with ELLs at the State, regional and local levels;
- Collaborate with the Office of State Assessment to ensure that systems are aligned with the needs of ELLs;
- Research and prepare professional development materials, grants, contracts, proposed regulatory and policy statements, and informational materials;
- Assist in the development of educational resources and initiatives, including convening and conducting key consultant committees, participating in committee work and training sessions to provide content knowledge in the development of education programs across the state; and
- Assist in preparing written program and fiscal reports as required by the Department and the United States Department of Education.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: For permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
If there are fewer than 3 acceptors on the eligible list, a provisional appointment may be considered.
For provisional appointment, candidates must have a master’s degree AND New York State permanent or professional certification in Bilingual Education, Teacher of English as a Second Language, English to Speakers of Other Languages, or in a classroom teaching with an extension in Bilingual Education AND three years of experience teaching in an education program for English Language Learners and/or limited English proficient students in grades K-12. Up to one year of the three years of experience may be in an administrative or supervisory capacity in the field of Bilingual Education or English as a Second Language. A Ph.D. in education may be substituted for up to two years of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a permanent or provisional appointment. Filling of this position is contingent upon Division of Budget approval. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree will be required.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $81,415 based on annual performance advances.
**Plus $3,026 annual Downstate location adjustment.
APPLICATION: Review will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1531/20620) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer