ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER OF ASSESSMENT, NS
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Educational Policy is seeking candidates to fill the position of Assistant Commissioner of Assessment. The Office of State Assessment is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive testing program for grade K-12 students that measures student progress on the New York State Learning Standards and for developing and implementing the new teacher certification examinations aligned to the New York State Teaching Standards and school leader examinations. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Direct the work of a Statewide operation including test development, test administration, psychometrics, data analysis & research, special populations testing, art and design, and teacher certification exams (approximately 80 employees);
- Oversee all aspects of the development and administration of the assessments within the New York State Testing Program;
- Oversee the development of the new teacher and school leader certification examinations;
- Manage the development of proposals and procurements as relates to student assessment;
- Oversee the development of policy and guidance to ensure New York State’s (NYS) compliance with federal and state laws and regulations;
- Ensure that technical assistance related to assessment is provided to school districts, parents and other stakeholders in NYS;
- Direct the alignment of policies and procedures for student assessment in NYS;
- Manage the implementation of networks of technical assistance and professional development statewide to support schools, parents and educators;
- Maintain ongoing dialogue with stakeholders for all issues related to student assessment in NYS and ensure timely and informative communication;
- Ensure the appropriate membership and operation of the Commissioner’s Technical Advisory Committee for Assessment;
- Work in collaboration with the Office of Counsel relative to all aspects of student assessment in NYS;
- Represents NYS at national and regional conferences devoted to student assessment;
- Work closely with internal NYSED offices, specifically with the Office of Curriculum and Instruction, to ensure a high quality assessment program; and
- Work in collaboration with external stakeholders and advocacy groups in support of quality student assessment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a Master’s Degree or higher and have relevant senior level leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of higher education, education or government including professional and educational experience related to large-scale K-12 student assessment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education.
*Salary will be commensurate with Education and Experience.
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1618/13500) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer