School Food Programs Specialist 1, SG-14 (PEF)
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Education Policy is seeking candidates for a School Food Programs Specialist 1 position in the Office of Child Nutrition. This Office is responsible for providing technical assistance and performing field inspections of schools, sponsors and residential child care institutions participating in the School Breakfast, School Lunch and Summer Food Service Programs (SFSP) and to ensure compliance with federal and State regulations, including the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. Under the general supervision of the School Food Programs Specialist 2, the incumbent of this position will independently conduct comprehensive administrative reviews of one or more child nutrition programs. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct comprehensive administrative reviews of child nutrition programs;
- Develop and maintain a professional knowledge, understanding and interpretation of State and federal regulations and interpret regulations for schools and school districts;
- Develop and disseminate written guidance and policy for child nutrition programs to ensure compliance with rules and regulations;
- Independently schedule and prepare materials for administrative school reviews and field inspections;
- Review and monitor implementation of corrective action plans, generate follow-up correspondence and conduct unannounced school visits;
- Propose recommendations for withholding funding, imposing special conditions on contractors and sponsors, and termination of programs;
- Assist in the design of program and compliance review procedures;
- Ensure uniform program monitoring and compliance review efforts statewide;
- Assist in the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of child nutrition programs to support the mission of State and federal programs;
- Assist in administration of electronic or manual recordkeeping and reporting instruments and generate reports, as needed;
- Conduct comprehensive nutritional analyses to ensure that menus meet appropriate age and grade nutrition requirements;
- Evaluate and assess compliance with cost principals, audit requirements and Civil Rights requirements;
- Monitor program payments for accuracy and timeliness;
- Recommend necessary follow-up actions associated with claims and correspond with Reimbursement Unit to report irregularities; and
- Assist with date collection and special program initiatives.
Reassignment: One year of permanent competitive or 55b/c service as a School Food Programs Specialist 1.
Eligible List Appointment: Candidates must be reachable on the Civil Service eligible list for this title.
Provisional Appointment: If the eligible list has fewer than 3 acceptors, a provisional appointment may be considered. For provisional appointment, candidates must have:
1) a bachelor’s degree or higher in nutritional science, nutrition education, or dietetics; OR
2) a bachelor’s degree or higher in family and consumer sciences, food service management, health education, hotel and restaurant management, institutional food service management, or public health which MUST include or be supplemented by three semester credit hours in nutrition; OR
3) an associate’s degree in nutritional science, nutrition education, or dietetics, AND two years of work experience in the degree area; OR
4) an associate’s degree in family and consumer sciences, food service management, health education, hotel and restaurant management, institutional food service management, or public health which MUST include or be supplemented by three semester credit hours in nutrition; AND two years of work experience in the degree area; OR
5) a current registration with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) as a Registered Dietitian (RD) or New York State Education Department certification as a Certified Dietitian/Nutritionist.
*Examples of non-qualifying work experience: Food service worker; wait or catering staff; fast food or short order cook; chef, sous-chef or other restaurant kitchen staff; food demonstrator/sales; grocery store clerk/cashier; butcher; dietary aide; marketing associate; personal trainer; food production; fitness coach; and home health aide.
NOTE: If you are on the Civil Service eligible list for this title, you may receive a canvass letter. You must complete and return it as instructed on the letter.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This will be a contingent permanent or provisional appointment. Promotions and transfers may change appointees’ negotiating unit. Applicants should be aware that changes in negotiating units may affect their salary, insurance, and other benefits. Verification of degree and/or transcripts will be required for all candidates at the time of interview.
*Leads to a maximum salary of $54,678 based on annual performance advances.
APPLICATION: Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by April 7, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1644/60275) of the position in the subject line of your email and/or cover letter to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer