Office of Innovation and School Reform, NS
The New York State Education Department’s Office of Educational Policy is seeking candidates to fill the position of Assistant Commissioner for Innovation and School Reform. The Office of Innovation and School Reform is responsible for implementing New York’s School Receivership program in schools identified as Struggling and Persistently Struggling as well as selected grant programs intended to increase student results in low-performing schools. Duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure the provision of technical assistance and support to schools in Receivership, with a focus on assisting receivers to effectively carry out their responsibilities and to support the improvement of underperforming and chronically underperforming schools;
- Support and enhance partnerships between SED and Local Education Agencies (LEA’s), school communities, local advisory boards and other stakeholder groups, including unions, as appropriate, to provide support and resources to schools in Receivership in order to improve student outcomes;
- Lead an executive coaching team and technology liaison to provide technical support to district and school leaders regarding innovation, support, and technology integration;
- Work with the Superintendent and/or Independent Receiver of struggling and persistently struggling schools (which are defined as lowest performing in the state for the last 3-10 years);
- Lead the Department’s efforts to create a cadre of pre-qualified Independent Receivers and oversee the work of any appointed Independent Receivers;
- Oversee the preparation of reports for the Governor, legislature, Board of Regents and the Commissioner regarding the effectiveness of the School Receivership program;
- Recommend changes in law, Commissioner’s Regulations, policies and/or procedures to improve the effectiveness of the State Education Department’s efforts to promote innovation and school reform and implementation of the School Receivership program;
- Work to create new opportunities for collaboration as the education agenda changes and grows;
- Oversee the performance management of Persistently Struggling Schools Grants, Community School Grants and School Improvement grants to schools in Receivership and other low-performing schools to ensure that districts are held accountable for effective implementation of funded programs;
- Participate in making determinations about the accountability status of schools in Receivership;
- Direct the preparation of materials to provide timely, accurate and understandable communications to stakeholders regarding all aspects of programs overseen by the Office of Innovation and School Reform;
- Supervise the staff of the Office of Innovation and School Reform, which conduct performance reviews of schools in Receivership through on-site reviews and regular conference calls and prepare reports on the status of schools’ improvement efforts;
- Represent the Commissioner and other senior managers upon request; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates must have a master’s degree or higher and have relevant senior level leadership and management experience including a record of proven results and responsibility for a major complex office or institution of higher education, education or government.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: This position is in the exempt class and the incumbent will serve at the discretion of the Commissioner of Education.
APPLICATION: Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until a candidate is appointed. Qualified candidates should send a resume and letter of interest by to email@example.com (email submissions are preferred). You must include the Box number (P12-1656/20202) of the position in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application.
Office of Human Resources Management
NYS Education Department
89 Washington Avenue, Room 528 EB
Albany, NY 12234
Fax (518) 486-5631
Please like us on Facebook!
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer