Instructions for Completing the National Provider Identifier (NPI) Online Application
Items needed before proceeding with online application:
- 9-digit Employer Identification Number (EIN) assigned by the IRS
- 8-digit Medicaid Management Information System provider identification number (Medicaid provider number)
- Taxonomy Code (all school districts/counties/§4201 schools will use “251300000X”)
NOTE: WHEN COMPLETING THE ONLINE APPLICATION, DO NOT HIT THE “BACK” BUTTON OR “FORWARD” BUTTON ON YOUR BROWSER. YOU WILL LOSE ALL INFORMATION ENTERED UP TO THAT POINT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO BEGIN THE PROCESS OVER.
ALSO NOTE: ONCE YOU BEGIN, YOU WILL HAVE 20 – 30 MINUTES TO COMPLETE THE PROCESS. AFTER 20 – 30 MINUTES, THE PROCESS TIMES OUT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO BEGIN AGAIN.
1. Go to https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov
2. Click “National Provider Identifier (NPI)”
3. Click “Apply Online for an NPI”
4. Scroll to bottom of screen and click “Begin Application Form”
5. You will need to create an NPI User ID and password
(it is suggested that your user id incorporate the name of your organization since your user id cannot be changed)
After creating the User ID and password, follow the online instructions to complete the application. Please note the following when moving through the screens:
- “Entity Type” is type 2, “Organization”
- “Employer Identification Number (EIN)” is your 9-digit federal ID number
- Screen entitled: “NPI Application Form – Other Identification Numbers”: Click on “add identifier” and note the following:
Identification Number: Your 8-digit Medicaid Provider Number
Description: Leave blank
- Screen entitled: “NPI Application Form – Taxonomy/License Information”: Click on “add Taxonomy” and note the following:
Provider Type Code: “25 Agencies”
Classification Name – Area of Specialization: “251300000X – Local Education
License Number and State Where Issued – leave blank
You will receive a confirmation number after you complete the online process. Your NPI should be issued within 15 business days. Please notify your local RIC by e-mail when you receive your confirmation number. After receiving your NPI, please send a second e-mail to your local RIC informing them of the actual NPI.