Federal Reporting Requirements: Guidance and Information

Federal System for Award Management (SAM) – Agency Registration

In order to be awarded federal funds, an agency must obtain a DUNS number and register in the federal System for Award Management (SAM).  Failure to register in SAM or to renew the registration annually may delay the awarding and/or payment of federal funds from NYSED.  Once an agency is registered in SAM, the DUNS number and the SAM registration expiration date must be submitted to NYSED for federal reporting purposes.

For more information on the DUNS number, Expiration date, and instructions on how to register with the federal SAM system, please refer to the following site: https://www.oms.nysed.gov/cafe/guidance/sam.html

Once your agency is registered in the federal SAM system, we must receive the DUNS Number and Expiration Date here at NYSED for verification and reporting purposes.  After the initial reporting of the DUNS number and Expiration Date to NYSED, there is no need to report the new Expiration Date to NYSED each time your registration is renewed with the Federal SAM site as we will be receiving the newest date from the federal government.

Please remember:  The registration renewal with the federal SAM site needs to be done yearly.


Here is guidance from the SAM site for renewal:

Federal SAM renewal instructions - PDF

Please be advised the SAM system has revised their guidance due to alleged fradulent activity in SAM.  Please read this SAM Update effective April 26,2018:

Federal SAM Update Instructions

Especially important is this information on the instructions page:

" What interim changes have been made to the SAM registration process?

  The proactive steps taken by SAM to address this fraudulent activity include requiring an original, signed notarized letter identifying the authorized Entity Administrator for the entity associated with the DUNS number before a new SAM.gov entity registration will be activated or an existing entity is updated or renewed."


For School Districts only - If the SEDREF system does not display your district's DUNS number OR it is listed, but unverified, then someone from NYSED will be contacting your district in the near future to obtain/verify this information.

For all other Agencies – Agencies without this information on file that are receiving federal funds from NYSED or wish to do so, must submit a Payee Information (PI) form to the office to which the most recent application for funding was sent.  The PI form is available at www.oms.nysed.gov/cafe/forms.  The same procedure should be followed to make a correction to a DUNS number on SEDREF.  Please note that agencies with multiple DUNS numbers should report the DUNS number used to register the agency in SAM. 

Last Updated: June 5, 2018