Federal System for Award Management – Agency Registration

In order to be awarded federal funds, an agency must obtain a DUNS number and register in the federal System for Award Management (SAM).  Failure to register in SAM or to renew the registration annually may delay the awarding and/or payment of federal funds from the New York State Education Department.  Once an agency is registered in SAM, its DUNS number and SAM registration expiration date must be submitted to NYSED for federal reporting purposes.

What is a DUNS number?
This is a nine-digit number issued by Dun & Bradstreet that uniquely identifies an agency.  It is used by the federal government to track how federal funds are allocated and expended by New York State, NYSED, and local organizations.  Go to Dun & Bradstreet's website at http://mycredit.dnb.com/search-for-duns-number/ to search for an agency's DUNS number or to register for one.
What is SAM?
SAM is a government-wide registry of organizations doing business with the federal government.  The system collects, validates, stores and disseminates business information about the federal government’s trading partners.  Introduced in 2012, it is a consolidation of several federal procurement systems, including the Central Contractor Registration (CCR) and the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA), into one system.
How does an agency register in SAM?
To register in SAM, go to www.sam.gov.  Upon registration, the agency will be given an expiration date.  An agency may already be registered in SAM because it had an active record in CCR.  If that is the case, prior to its SAM expiration date, the agency will be notified by SAM to create a SAM user account and renew registration. 
How are the DUNS number and SAM expiration date reported to NYSED?
Many agencies have already provided them.  If so, the information will display in the agency’s New York State Education Department Reference (SEDREF) record, which can be accessed through a search at http://portal.nysed.gov/portal/pls/pref/SED.sed_inst_qry_vw$.startup.  Agencies without this information on file that are receiving federal funds from NYSED or wish to do so must submit a Payee Information (PI) form to the office to which the most recent application for funding was sent.  The PI form is available at www.oms.nysed.gov/cafe/forms.  The same procedure should be followed to make a correction to a DUNS number on SEDREF.  Please note that agencies with multiple DUNS numbers should report the DUNS number used to register the agency in SAM.

Issued 2/21/13